Visa (D-Visa): for foreign citizens with permit of permanent
residence in China.
D visa is a temporary, transitional visa like Z visa.
If the applicant
is not in China mainland, he/ she can apply for a D visa in
the Chinese embassy/ consulate by providing an official application
letter issued by Ministry of Public Security.
He/she has to change D visa to a 10-year Permanent Residence
Permit within 30 days of arrival. For those children (apply
as qualified applicants' family members) who are under 18
years old, the Permanent Residence Permit is 5-year long.
If the applicant is in China mainland, he/ she can directly
apply for Permanent Residence Permit.
There are several
situations that you can get permanent residence permits.
1) Direct HUGE investment in China mainland (in the east of
China, 2 million USD investment in your name; in the west
of China, 0.5 million USD investment can work)
2) High positions in provincial-level Chinese government (or
above), key universities, enterprises/ organizations who carry
out important nation-level scientific projects or the like,
high-tech enterprises and etc.
3) Great and special contributions to China
4) Foreigners who marry Chinese for over 5 years. In the past
5 continuous years, holding residence permits for work all
As for the documents
required for item 4) in Beijing, please refer to the following
* already married for 5 years or above
* in the past 5 continuous years, holding residence permits
for work all the time
* stayed in China NO less than 9 months each year for the
past 5 years
* original updated health check report
* no-criminal record when staying abroad authenticated by
Chinese embassy/ consulate
* original spouse's hukou booklet, ID card
* original marriage certificate (need to be notarized; if
issued outside China, needs to be authenticated by Chinese
* duty-paid proof for the past 5 years when holding residence
* apartment ownership certificate or rental contract which
is subject to notarization
* certification of deposit to support your life in China for
the following years
* original passport, 4 photos
* others may be required by the authority
information above is directly from relevant authority in Beijing.
There may be some difference from city to city, from time
to time. It is only for your reference.